Eva specialises in public procurement and trade law. She advises national and international clients with regard to public procurement and contract law as well as excise duty and European trade law issues. Her practice focuses on compliance advice as well as contentious advice including the legal representation before review and appellate bodies, financial and ordinary courts as well as arbitration tribunals and the ECJ. In addition to that, she has considerable experience in advising on self-cleaning procedures in public procurement – acting for both contracting authorities and bidders. This includes advising on sanctions imposed by the World Bank or other multilateral development banks.
Her clients are active in various industry sectors, such as defence and security, energy and raw materials, chemistry and pharmaceuticals as well as the automotive sector. By advising clients in these sectors for several years Eva has gained considerable industry knowledge which enables her to offer customised advice to her clients. She also has a solid background in advising at the interface between public procurement and contract law.
Eva-Maria Meister is admitted to the Bar in Germany (Rechtsanwältin). She is a member of DIS40. She also lectures on export control and customs duties as part of a training course by the Hamburger Zollakademie (jointly with Sarah Bayer).
Languages: German, English
Public Procurement Law
- Regular advice to TenneT TSO GmbH on various public procurement law questions and representation in a number of legal disputes
- Advising a leading German defence and security company on public procurement and commercial law issues including representing it before a DIS arbitral tribunal
- Advising the Senate Chancellery of the Federal State of Berlin on public procurement law and contract law issues regarding the organisation of Tag der Deutschen Einheit 2018
- Advising and representing a German chemical company on public procurement and commercial law issues before public procurement review bodies and civil courts
International Trade Law
- Advising and representing Raffinerie Tirlemontoise S.A. in a preliminary ruling procedure concerning sugar market regulation before the European Court of Justice
- Representing and advising Südzucker AG in two procedures before the German fiscal courts and several appeal procedures regarding questions of sugar market regulation
- Advising multinational corporations in the energy and financial sector on issues of energy and electricity tax law including representing them in objection procedures and court proceedings against customs authorities
- Advising a German bank with global reach on the law of excise duties
Eva completed her legal education at the University of Passau with a focus on European and international law. She holds a masters of law degree (LL.M.) from Nottingham Law School specialising in regulatory, environment and planning law. Prior to joining BLOMSTEIN she worked at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP where she became Principal Associate in 2015.
Eva completed her legal traineeship at the Higher Regional Court of Berlin. During her traineeship she worked for the German Foreign Ministry, Hengeler Mueller in Berlin and at the United Nations in New York.
- Anmerkung zum EuGH-Urteil vom 18. Januar 2017, Rs. C‑365/15 (Wortmann), ZfZ 2017, p. 42 (together with Sarah Bayer)
- (Un-)Zulässigkeit von Beschränkungen im Zusammenhang mit dem Einsatz von Dritten in Vergabeverfahren, Anmerkung zum EuGH-Urteil vom 14. Juli 2016, C-406/14, Anm. 3, jurisPR-VergR 1/2016 (together with Pascal Friton)
- Zulässigkeit der Auflösung einer zweigliedrigen Bietergemeinschaft im laufenden Vergabeverfahren, Anmerkung zum EuGH-Urteil vom 24. Mai 2016, C-396/14, Anm. 3, jurisPR-VergR 1/2016 (together with Pascal Friton) READ AS PDF
- Commentary to § 107 and 109 ARC, in: Prieß/Stein/Gabriel/Mertens (Hrsg.), Beck’scher Onlinekommentar Vergaberecht (together with Sarah Bayer and Simone Terbrack)
- Chapter „Germany“, in: Getting the Deal Through – Public Procurement, 2012 – 2015 (together with Hans-Joachim Prieß and Pascal Friton)
- In dubio pro Binnenmarktrelevanz? Mehr Transparenz im Unterschwellenbereich, auch bei geringem Auftragswert (zugleich Anmerkung zum EuGH-Urteil vom 16. April 2015, Rs. C-278/14), NZBau 12/2015, p. 757 – 760
- „Rechtsschutz schnell und teuer? Steuerliche Nebenleistungen in der Abgabenordnung“, Betriebs-Berater, 2014, p. 538 (together with Roland M. Stein)
- BFH: Keine Erstattung der Stromsteuer bei Zahlungsunfähigkeit der mit Strom belieferten Kunden; Verfassungsmäßigkeit der Nichtberücksichtigung von Forderungsausfällen bei der Stromsteuer), Anmerkung zum BFH-Urteil vom 17. Oktober 2013, VII R 8/12, ZfZ – Zeitschrift für Zölle und Verbrauchsteuern, 2014, p. 175
- Die Rahmenvereinbarung: Das (nach wie vor) unbekannte Wesen?, FS Marx 2013 2013, p. 129 (together with Pascal Friton)
- Umstrittener Biodiesel und die „B99-Klausel“, ZfZ – Zeitschrift für Zölle und Verbrauchsteuern, 2013, p. 90 (together with Roland M. Stein)
- Hoheitliche Energieverteuerung als Instrument der Energiewende?, ZfZ – Zeitschrift für Zölle und Verbrauchsteuern, 2012, p. 155 (together with Roland M. Stein)
- „Customs Specialist“ course offered by the Hamburger Zollakademie, May 2017, units “Export Control” and “Customs Debt”